2020-03-01

Berlinale: Surge

A part of me seeks balance, avoids big changes. When big changes are inevitable, the system can get out of balance and remain in a screaming state for a while until a new balance is found.

This balancing movement is, for example, set to music in Gustav Mahler's First Symphony, 4th movement "Stormily agitated – Energetic" and also the subject of Rita Kalnejais' film "Surge". The increasingly wobbly camera work is intended to underline the movement. The leading actor was known to me as Grenouille from "The Perfume". I liked looking at him and at some point I sympathized with his transformation.

When I ride my bicycle home, next to the highway, the cars at walking pace like every working day at this time, I wonder why these compensatory movements are so rare.

No comments: