2020-03-01

Berlinale: FREM

The filmmaker took some beautiful pictures of Antarctica using drones. But instead of one more episode of "National Geographic" she decided to add an idea: How would it look, how would it feel if an A.I. starts getting interested in life?

The result is some analog visual effects and a nerve-racking sound, which in my opinion is almost a psychological torture. The sound reminds me of a song by Hüsker Dü from 1984. I, for one, suffered so much that I slid back and forth in my cinema chair and my mobile phone slipped out of my pocket unnoticed and got lost.

But after the movie I don't know anything new about A.I.. My feeling is that an A.I. would not simply collect images, but would interact with the environment. The researcher Karl Friston once joked that A.I. stands for active interference.

The film didn't teach me anything new about life either. Since in Antarctica, it doesn't distinguish between plants and animals.

What remains are some landscapes from the Antarctic, which show me that even non-life, relaxation processes in the thermodynamic sense, can lead to beauty. And there remains some envy of the filmmaker who made this trip to Antarctica. (My cell phone was found the next day.)

No comments: